Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Swimming - Sinking

As my alarm woke me up this morning for 6am I was wondering what the heck I was doing up that early...but remembered right away that I had agreed to go swimming with my crazy athletic triathlete neighbours. I grabbed my fabulous speedo one piecer (hideous), goggles and cap and headed over to the pool in Oakville. To make a long story short, I was WAY over my league! I was swimming with people who have been doing triathlons and iron mans their entire adult lives. One guy was doing his last minute training for the worlds. Needless to say I gave it my all, but still was flapping and flailing in an attempt to do the drills and sprints. All were supportive and cheered me on, but I know I have a long way to go to get to their level! On a side note...one of my favourite things to do is enter into an entire new world. I remember when I went for my first long run with the Running Room early one Sunday morning. It was so peaceful and calm out with only the noise of runners and a lot of runners at that...I just remember thinking how in my old life I would have been sleeping in, and had no clue about this entire world of running. Same went for today, I was in awe of all the early morning swimmers all clocking in their routines while most people were snug in their beds (of course my bed some mornings is the greatest place to be). Though I can feel almost every muscle in my body at the moment and am thinking I am crazy for going again on Thursday, I know this new experience will be so rewarding and hopefully my goal of completing an Olympic length triathlon in 2009 will be checked off my bucket list! I have a long road of training to go, but am excited of entering into this new world of training.
PS. The pool I will be swimming at is Centennial Pool on Navy Street. It's $3.25 to go, and the pool is divided into different groups of swimmers/training levels. So for those of you who want to join the experience I will be there Tuesday and Thursday mornings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Iron Man (woman) here we come!!!! I think this is next on your agenda!
Mom xo
Your triathalon friends just loaded you up with reading, books just landed on our front steps this am