Monday, May 3, 2010

10 staple items

so this weekend I had my long over due hair appointment ... decided to switch things up and try out Civello's in Oakville. Sunday is the new Saturday at Civello and I was pleasantly surprised by my visit. As always I browsed the tables and gathered my collection of magazines, so that I could tune out and relax. I started with Flare, went through Vogue and still had time to read through Oprah's mag. I've never been a huge fan of the O magazine, but this time around it was great! O is celebrating her 10th year of the magazine and she has a whole bunch of top 10 lists about different topics...my fav!! I couldn't get enough...I read the mag from cover to the last page. Here is an example of what I am talking about - but can I just say my 30th birthday (ahhhhh!) is way too close for comfort and I lack some of the mistake proof items!! How is that possible?? I am usually always on par. hmph!:

10 Mistake-Proof Items Every Woman Should Own
1. Touches of animal print. On a bag or shoe, a little bit of zebra or tiger operates like a neutral. Michael Kors and Ann Taylor bring them out almost every season. - check - but I wouldn't say my representation really counts.
2. A Leather Jacket. Now a year-round staple, they come in lighter weights and pale colors, like Tory Burch's in camel or Banana Republic's in beige. - don't have one...and it was only up until last fall that I desired one....gotta love my new found budget
3. A men's watch. I like men's styles because they're not too fussy or dainty. If you wear a lot of gold jewelry, go with gold tones (Tag Heuer's are great); if you wear mostly silver, pick stainless steel (Citizen and Swatch have affordable options). - Technically yes I have one...My Michael Kors one does the job...a definite staple in my wardrobe!
4. Diamond hoop earrings. More youthful than studs, hoops polish off a casual look and complete a dressy one. Unless you want to be mistaken for one of Beyoncé's backup singers, find a medium size. I love Daniel K's, and Carolee makes great faux ones. - No :( ...and I think you can only do the real deal for these
5. A sequined scarf. Every woman should have sequins for day. I think the unexpected combination—plain plus fancy—is key. - Dont think I agree with this...I do like a little sparkle though
6. White jeans. CJ by Cookie Johnson's and Gap's come in nice heavy fabrics. - yuppers! Love my white jeans! Top Shop...boooya!
7. A neutral shoe. In leather, patent leather, or fabric, a pair of heels that matches your skin color visually extends the line of your leg. - check, check. However, when I visualize a must have neutral shoe...I dont think of a stylesense shoe, but rather a red soled Christian Louboutin...one day?!
8. An oversize blazer. The "borrowed from the boys" look isn't going anywhere. At the office, throw on a jacket—black, navy, or pinstriped. - check...but it's not a staple for me! My jean jacket is more like it!
9. A pencil skirt. Sexy without being revealing, and appropriate at any age—it works for every woman. If you have a boyish shape, it gives the impression of curves; if you're curvy, it plays up your figure; if you're plus size, it's more flattering than a full skirt. - ya ya check check
10. A laced trimmed bra or cami. Peeking out from under a V-neck, a little frill on a Soma bra or Mary Green cami adds a touch of femininity. - I do have one....but should pull it out more if it's a must have!

ps. So I have been brainstorming a new goal for myself...and for some reason climbing to base camp or one level higher on Mt Everest came to mind! I of course need a partner in crime...so when presenting my idea to Chris I think he thought I was crazy...but I'm serious...and he's coming with me, he just might not know it yet! Within the next 2 years I will accomplish this goal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
- KR said...

Here's a tip to accomplishing your goal: http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/everest-adventure/ANEA/2010/

I did this trip last year and it's more amazing then you could ever imagine!

Good luck and safe travels :)