Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Growing strong

This past weekend I took a train to meet up with Chris in Ottawa (lovely weekend)...on this 5 hour train ride I purchased 3 magazines that seemed to tie me over for at least half of the trip, however at one point we both my neighbour and I were twiddling our thumbs, she asked if she could read one of my mags, and so of course I said sure but I too would love to read hers. I read from cover to cover her Yoga Journal...I cant say I have ever read a yoga magazine but I totally enjoyed it. Anywho there was a article that resonated with me...so of course I thought I would share (she let me rip it out for keepsake)
Growing Strong - A mother's yogic influence takes root in her daughter - Monette Chilson
As I sat next to my daughter in yoga class, listening to her chanting, I felt we were crossing a threshold in our relationship. At 13, she fluctuates daily between childhood and young adulthood. One minute she's calling me Mommy as she asks for my help, and the next she's rolling her eyes at what I'm wearing. But on this particular day, she was sitting with a remarkable degree of maturity, chanting Om with a serene and serious expression that brought tears to my eyes. We'd done yoga together in the past, but only now was she beginning to make it her own. With your children, no seed you plant is guaranteed to grow. Though I had been a dedicated yoga practitioner since long before she was born, I knew that didn't ensure that my way of life would rub off on her. I felt humbled and honored to sit beside my daughter as our voices of those around us, articulating divinity in this deep and primal way. In that moment, we shared an understanding of reverence for the Divine that simply wouldn't have been easy to access in a casual mother-daughter conversation.
I am thankful for that little taste of enlightenment and for the glimpse of the young woman my daughter is becoming. I can see the green shoots of the yogic seeds I've planted beginning to emerge from the rich soil of her soul . No matter what else she does in life, if she holds on to the core of her inner Self she will be fine.
~Though I don't have children this is somewhat how I felt when I saw and experienced my mom and girlfriends make yoga their own.

3 comments:

brenda said...

Did you cry as you were reading this? as I am!!! It's very true and I love doing yoga with you especially boot camps!!! Lets do another one.
Love you!!!
Mom xo

Monette said...

Hey -- this is Monette Chilson, author of that Yoga Journal piece you read, and I am almost in tears for a completely different reason. As an emerging writer, it is always my greatest hope that my words will touch someone like mine touched you. So, thank you for sharing. By posting that on your blog, you let me know that I did my job!

I do have a book in the works on yoga and the feminine divine that you might enjoy. It probably won't be out until early 2012, but you can see the premise and check out my blog at www.SophiaRisingYoga.com.

Your blog is lovely, by the way!

Namaste,
Monette

E. Bryce said...

Monette,
Thank you for your message, and especially for the article that you wrote in the Yoga Journal. I always love the moment when you can connect to what a writers is speaking to. I will definitely check out your blog frequently!
Thank you for posting.

Mom,
I am definitely in for another yoga boot camp!!! I think you need to move to the tdot so that we can continue our yoga get togethers!
Love you
xo