Thursday, December 20, 2007

Eat Pray Love

At this moment I am reading "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. (One woman's search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia). The book is divided into three parts, each representing 4 months of Liz's experience in one of three countries. I have just finished "eat" where Liz fully immersed herself in Italy and what the culture as to offer...it was interesting to see Italy through the eyes of someone else and what they remembered about their moments. Just before putting the book down to take a break from reading and the sun, I thought I would read a couple pages of her first few days in India...and I can tell already this may be my favourite part of the book (I think its because I have already been to Italy and Indonesia...so to learn about India, a place I have always wanted to go to, is very intriguing...also because India seems to be the place where Yoga was born) Here is how a yoga instructor from India defines Yoga to Liz as (it totally hit home for me). Yoga is the effort to experience one's divinity personally and then to hold on to that experience forever. Yoga is about self mastery and the dedicated effort to haul your attention away from your endless brooding over the past and your nonstop worrying about the future so that you can seek, instead, a place of eternal presence from which you may regard yourself and your surroundings with poise. Only from that point of even-mindedness will the true nature of the world (and yourself) be revealed to you. (page 122....also goes into more detail). While reading that section I knew I had to share it with my friends..those who do practice yoga and those who don't but may be intrigued. Namaste ;)

1 comment:

little h. said...

i def want to read that one...maybe while im away...