Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Multiple Intelligences

Last semester I wrote a research paper on Multiple Intelligences, and this semester my group for one of my classes has decided to present this theory for one of our assignments. The more I read about this theory the more I am intrigued and tend to brainstorm on my past educational career. Did my teachers recognize my strengths and the strengths of my peers in order to ensure a successful learning environment?

My findings: As a future teacher of early childhood education it is very important to address student differences in learning styles so that a student is able to learn at their highest potential. Howard Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences proposes that there are eight different intelligences to account for a broader range of human potential in all children. Gardner recognizes that schools and culture of today focus much of their attention on linguistic and logical mathematical intelligence where there needs to be a focus and interest in students and how their minds are different from one another and in helping them use their minds well. With an understanding of the eight multiple intelligences teachers can better understand and allow students to safely explore and learn in many ways and they can help students direct their own learning through adapting the curriculum and the activities used in the classroom.
As I am participating in some practice teaching at my placement, I will focus on learning more about the learning styles of the students and will try to incorporate activities that tap into as many of the 8 intelligences as I can.

The 8 Multiple Intelligences:
Linguistic: the intelligence of words.
Logical-mathematical: the intelligence of numbers and reasoning.
Visual/Spatial: the intelligence of pictures and images.
Musical: the intelligence of tone, rhythm, and timbre.
Bodily-Kinesthetic: the intelligence of the whole body and the hands.
Interpersonal: the intelligence of social interactions
Intrapersonal: the intelligence of self-knowledge
Naturalistic: the intelligence of nature

I recently took a test to determine which intelligences I tend to learn best with (picture shows my learning style), and it was very interesting to see and learn about my results. If you are intrigued to learn about your learning style (people are constantly learning from their environment, even if you are no longer in school or teach) here is the website to visit: http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks3/ict/multiple_int/what.cfm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always known that I was a visual learner... a slow one...but that's what works for me...association...so as for you , a new teacher I'm sure it will be hard to teach or spend individual time with each studentlearn their method of learning abilities...especially in the public system in large classes. But you seem energized!!! and go for it.