Monday, May 11, 2009

I DID IT!

Yesterday, Sunday May 10th, at 7:30 am the gun sounded for the start of the 2009 Mississauga Marathon (42.2kms). My third marathon in the past year..and this marathon was going to be the race that was going to take me to Boston. I started off super strong with Sam and eventually Merv by my side and we were running an under 5 minute/km pace. We saw smiling faces and supporters along the way and I felt stronger than ever! I knew this race was going to be MY race! The race that would also help me turn the page. However, once I hit the 30k-ish mark and was running through Jack Darling park, my mind was becoming stronger than my body, and I was doubting the idea that I could finish. Sam rooted me on and told me I could do it, so I constantly rallied back. Then at the 35km mark I told Sam to keep her goal alive and go on without me, as I was passed off to Jodie who was waiting by at the 35k mark to take me to the finish line. Just thinking about it all again is making me want to cry. At 37km Steph also joined the challenge in keeping me going. I can't even begin to explain the emotional and physical battle I was facing and knew it was going to be a struggle till the finish line was crossed. I complained, I walked, I sobbed, and gave up, I ran, I jogged and tried to smile but the last 7kms kicked me to the curb in every way. However, somehow my body that has been training for forever kept me going and my will (with my support team) to survive and do the race in under 3:40 was accomplished....I have officially qualified for the BOSTON MARATHON with a time of 3:38:45! God what a feeling!! Seeing the finish line and knowing I did it was so overwhelming, I think I sobbed for 20 minutes straight once I saw my mom and dad realizing I did it and throughout the rest of the day I just couldn't hold back the tears! I'm so proud of myself and to all those around me who accomplished their goal. Done and done - check!now here is hoping I will eventually be able to walk normally again! (picture of Jodie and Steph bringing me to the finish - I couldn't have done it without them! Thank you! xo)
"What matters is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Stats:Erin Bryce: Bib #186
Time: 3:39:27
Chip: 3:38:44
Category Place (F25-29): 10/80
Gender Place: 51/607
Split @ 8km: 38:59, @ 21.1km: 1:43:28, @ 25km: 2:04:50

3 comments:

Josie said...

I love the picture of the three of you running together. What a moment to capture. Great accomplishment Erin! There will be more good things to come.

Ryan and Erin said...

Congratulations Erin!

Anonymous said...

What a great family I have!!!! Congrats Erin!! and thanks to Jodie and Stephanie
Mom xo