Monday, May 18, 2009

Wine Review #2

Well this weekend I had my fair share of vino....so I thought I would share another wine fav of mine..and this time it's organic. Introducing Bonterra. I haven't narrowed down my favourite red from Bonterra, but I do enjoy the Merlot: Raised on vines in a valley that absorbs the full brilliance of a Mendocino County day, this nuanced wine blends a focused Merlot character with an evident heritage of Bordeaux. Aromas of cranberry, chocolate and cola spice add to the old-world style. Our Merlot is wonderfully dry, with compelling fruit and touches of herbs and light oak.
I would love to say that I am an organic connoisseur however, due to budget and convenience I can't say organic can be my first choice. However drinking Bonterra makes me feel I am making a healthier choice for my casual glass....especially since a couple days later I was reading a health magazine and they outlined the benefits of organic wines...so my ears were open and I paid attention. Here is a little tid bit for those who are interested: Organic wines contain less sulfites then traditional wines. Sulfites are a salts or sulfurous acids that occur naturally in many wines. It is vary rare to find a wine that does not have sulfites. Added sulfites are generally used for preservation of wines. 100% Organic wines are made with no added sulfites. The less sulfites a wine contains, the healthier it will be for your body. Drinking wine in moderation is beneficial to your overall health. Many studies have shown that drinking one glass of wine a day can decrease your chances of heart disease (holla!). Whether you are celebrating a special occasion with that perfect glass of wine, or just sitting down and enjoying a glass of wine at your next meal, it is important to choose the best wine for your health. Organic wine provides you with all of the benefits that a traditional wine would give, without harmful pesticides. (Sounds good to me!) Anywho the Bonterra lineup of reds is delish...and can be found at your local LCBO for a price point of under $20. http://www.bonterra.com/
ps. reminder: red wine is an antioxidant ;) - all in moderation of course

No comments: