Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Do Not Agree!

Trustees approve Afrocentric school for TorontoTue. Jan. 29 2008 10:45 PM ET
toronto.ctv.ca
Trustees with the Toronto District School Board have voted to approve an "operational model" for an Afrocentric school, a controversial plan to help struggling black students in the city's education system. "The strategies developed by our staff following consultation with our communities, will hopefully more effectively address the needs of youth who have historically struggled in TDSB schools," John Campbell, chair of the board, said in a press release late Tuesday night.


As I learned of this decision today in class I was shocked!! I am still struggling with the concept of the catholic school system...did I not grow up to believe that thall shall not be discriminated on race & sex? therefore does the fact that I can not teach in a catholic system go against those morals? (That is a whole bag of worms that I don't care to get into while I am having a one way conversation)...but are we not going backwards when we agree to have an afrocentric school in Toronto? Imagine one were to request a school that is for whites only? Education is universal, therefore we should all be taught together! The decision they made I feel will only cause uproar for years to come! Ah!

No comments: