Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Amazing Things Happen When you Tri

JOE’S TEAM TRIATHLON
Saturday, July 5, 2008
CNIB Lake Joseph Centre, Muskoka, Ontario
Well it's official....I will be competing in my first triathlon this weekend in Muskoka (besides tri tri's in Uni). I signed up this morning after having an amazing ride yesterday, and every time I think about it I get super nervous! As I am a huge fan of setting personal goals and achieving them, I knew that if I didn't sign up right when I had the chance that the summer would probably get away from me...so here goes nothing! Not only will it be an extraordinary day for me, but The Joe's Team and I will be joining 400 athletes and The Princess Margaret as we TRI to conquer cancer, in our lifetime. It will be an amazing day where we will swim, bike and run our way to two victories: The individual triumph that awaits me at the finish line and the community triumph that will see $600,000 benefit The Joe’s Team Fund supporting the head and neck translational research program at The Princess Margaret. As I signed up last minute I have been unable to raise funds and donate to the cause...so please visit http://www.joesteam.ca/ and check out the cause, and donate if you can! In 2004, Joe Finley (a fellow Lake Joe member) began a difficult fight with cancer, a battle that he is very much fighting today. Despite the physical and emotional toll of an extremely aggressive cancer treatment (or perhaps, some say, because of it), Joe fulfilled a life-long objective in August 2006 – he completed his first triathlon.Crossing the finish line was just the beginning for Joe. He has now teamed up with The Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation to create “Joe’s Team”, an innovative cancer fundraising initiative. Wish me luck!! Go Team Joe! Ps. I hope I am not the only one not able to swim in a straight line! Breast stroke anyone?
The human spirit is a powerful thing. It can show us how exceptional we can be as individuals – and how extraordinary we can be as a community. - joesteam.ca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Erin Go!!! Is Joe not from Lake Joe, I can't remember him from Georgian Peaks????
mom xo

E. Bryce said...

oops...i just made the correction! I got your email, I think the ladies of Lake Joe should donate! xo

Anonymous said...

yes I wrote the ladies captain last night and suggested that today's winnings go towards Joe's team!!!! However today is freezing and I cancelled as well did most of the ladies I'm sure, so not sure it will happen.
mom xo