Monday, July 7, 2008

My First Triathlon

This past Saturday July 5th I competed in my first sprint triathlon...and it was hands down an amazing experience! Though I really couldn't function the night before as I was super nervous, I am so happy that I signed up and achieved a goal of mine! Drum roll please...I came in 2nd place in my age category and 6th woman overall. Crazy!! The hardest part for me was the swimming (750m swim = 30 lengths of a pool)...I love to swim, but to swim with people kicking you and swimming on top of you was a bit challenging, also to swim in the open water...but as I approached the beach at the end of the swim I couldn't help but enjoy that I challenged myself to something that I wasn't quite use to. The biking was another amazing experience, especially to see everyone in the same jerseys biking the highways of Muskoka...since I have trained up north, i was use to the hills and to longer rides, so 20km was a perfect distance, plus of all 3 sports, I am the strongest in biking! Once I came into the transition point and changed into my running shoes I was off again to run 5km...thank goodness I have been running a lot lately as I think at this point my body was finally asking "what are you doing?" It took 1km to get the lead feeling out of my legs, but then I was off again and knew 5km was a nice enough distance but not too long! I finished the triathlon in: 1:27:39 (Swim: 17:01 Bike: 43:35 Run: 27:04). I totally recommend competing in a sprint triathlon to anyone who is looking for a challenge and to see what a triathlon is all about. "Amazing things happen when you tri!" and it was definitely an event that has changed me....when can I do that again?
pps. Thank you to my mom and sister who were there to support me and cheer me on!! It wouldn't have been the same without you guys!
ps. Joe's Team raised close to $500,000 on Saturday! Funds raised by Joe’s Team benefit The Joe’s Team Fund supporting the head and neck translational research program at The Princess Margaret.

2 comments:

Josie said...

Erin, as I read your entry I could not help but feel extremely proud of you. I know I say this all the time, but you are freakin amazing girl!! It is one thing to be competitive but it is another to do well and enjoy pushing yourself. Truly inspiring. You will be such a great roll model for the children that are fortunate to be your students on day.
Peace out hommie...J

Josie said...

opps...sorry for the spelling mistakes. I type too fast sometimes. Please substitute "roll" with "role" and "on" with "one"...haha