Thursday, July 3, 2008

Book Reviews

Well this past weekend (4 day holiday), I picked up and threw down 3 books...well one was about to finish, the other was an easy peazy read and the third was an audio tape I finished listening to today...but hey all 3 are legit! Here are my reviews for anyone who is looking for a summer read or two.
1. The Forgotten Garden ~ Kate Morton (4 Stars) I truly enjoyed this book. While I was in Ireland I went to my most favourite book store on Grafton; a tiny shop with the best window displays....and every time I purchase their recommendations I am always pleased...it's a bit of a clunker in that it's 642 pages..but I got through it and was happy with the ending. It's based on the lives of Rose, Eliza, Nell and Cassandra and how their pasts affects each other. The novel is broken down into 3 plots all intertwined occurring in 1913, 1975 and 2005.
2. The Gatecrasher ~Madeleine Wickham (4 stars) This book I read cover to cover over the weekend, and felt it was very entertaining! Though I usually enjoy novels, even if they are chick-lit, that I can some what relate to, and understand...I didn't have that feeling with this one, however it was super entertaining and I feel as if a movie will follow. I recommend the Gatecrasher if you are looking for a light hearted read! Same author as the Shopaholic Series (expect the same sort of story)
3. Love The One You're With ~ Emily Giffin (3 stars) Finally the third book of the weekend...and this time I thought I would change it up and go audio style. As I was trekking up to the cottage on Friday evening I started to enjoy silence over the radio...so after it took me 2 hours to get to Barrie I thought it be best to stop by Chapters and pick up an audio book (went back to my roots as a sales rep), and had an additional 2 hours of driving to go = 4 hour car ride to the cottage - lovely! Before I go into the book, I just want to say that I totally recommend listening to novels via the car stereo. It's very calming and a nice change of pace. Love the One You're With is (I believe) the fourth novel by Emily Giffin...or at least the 4th book most girls have read (Baby Proof, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...). Though I quite enjoyed the other novels, I didn't have the same opinion about this one. It was basically about a girl named Ellen who is in a perfect relationship...but always thinks about the 'One' that got away. Without giving too much away, I just didn't really find the story believable...I don't know, how can Ellen be so caught up over Leo when she only dated him a year? Oh well I guess it's supposed to appeal to all ages. Any who so that's my reviews in a nutshell. I am looking for a new read for the next few weeks so if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. Alright time to pack for the cottage and for my race (oh my gosh!!).

No comments: