Friday, February 6, 2009

Something From Nothing

Alright now that the guest writer has recieved the record amount of comments, it's now my turn to start writing again. So this past week I have supplied 4 days and it was a great experience! I love being in a class room setting, it's where I feel most comfortable (job wise). At the school I am currently supplying at, the teacher in her outline of the day had asked that the supply teacher (moi) read a story to the grade 2's while they are having lunch (sneaky way to keep them behaved). Seeing as I carry short stories on me at all times I decided to read Angela's Airplane the first day, next was Jillian Jiggs, and the third day the kids had some books all picked out for me and I covered 3 in one sitting! I am getting quite good at my reading voice (if I don't say so myself!) Ha! Last night as I was looking through all my stories to prepare for today, I came a across a story called "Something From Nothing" written by Phoebe Gilman. A teacher from one of my placement had said it was her absolute fav...so today I decided to read it to the class...all were in tuned and thought it was a great and memorable book! Such a great message also! This book can also be incorporated into the curriculum by creating different activities that goes with the story line. I have a few lessons saved if you need them! If you're not a teacher, an amazing book to give, read or share! (The pictures are superb and tell their own story too!)
Background: Joseph's Grandpa can fix anything. He can turn a worn out blanket into a wonderful jacket, a vest into a Sabbath tie, a ragged handkerchief into a brand-new button, but when the button is lost, what's to be done? Even Grandpa can't make something from nothing.

No comments: